Preventing Mold in Los Alamitos
A home that has suffered from water damage needs to be treated quickly in order to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria and mold. Mold thrives in damp areas, so the sooner the issue is addressed, the better. There is little time to waste if you want to protect your Los Alamitos property.
The first step that must be taken is to remove any flood water that is still present in the home. A professional service in Los Alamitos will have equipment that can pump the water out. It can be dangerous work, especially in areas of the home that have electrical circuitry that is under water. The fuse box is a potential hazard, so an experienced emergency professional should be the one to clear out that area.
Removing all furniture and other items from the interior that have come into contact with water will allow them to dry out. Taking items outdoors and placing them in the sun is the best way to facilitate drying. Carpeting can take on water and harbor mold quickly. Large fans should be placed throughout the home, as well as a dehumidifier to keep the moisture levels down.
Carpeting typically has a layer of padding beneath it, so that should be removed, as well as the carpet. If the floorboards are damp, they may need to be replaced. If mold has not started to grow yet, it may be possible to dry the wood completely. Wood that has been soaked and is not properly dried out can rot and deteriorate.
Mold will grow on drywall and insulation, so any wall areas that have come into contact with water will need to be replaced. Drywall is porous, and mold cannot be removed once it has begun to grow. The only way to stop the growth and maintain a healthy environment is to remove the damaged areas quickly to prevent it from spreading.
When mold is left untreated after water damage, it can lead to a whole host of health issues. Respiratory problems are one of the most common ailments that people experience after a flooding as occurred. The immune system can become compromised, weakening an individual’s health and causing allergies and infections.
Water damage can wreak havoc on a home and all of its contents. Any home in Los Alamitos that has been exposed to flood water should be thoroughly checked for mold growth and treated within the first 48 hours after the event. The only way to ensure that a home is safe and healthy is to have any contaminated materials removed and replaced.
If you’ve suffered water damage in Los Alamitos please call us at 855-FloodAway.