Preventing flood damage in Garden Grove
Flooding can occur anytime; especially when a home has older plumbing or when spring storms flood low lying areas. It is important to have flood insurance and if you don’t check out and evaluate policies that can help you, should flooding occur in Garden Grove.
There are thing you can do to prevent flooding such as:
- Making up a checklist for basics you will need
- Find out what the risk for flooding is in your area
- Draw up an emergency plan and practice throughout the year on what to do
- Relocate your electrical boxes with the help of an electrician
- Elevate all of your appliances; especially if you live in a flood plain
- If you have a septic system, have interior and exterior back flow valves installed
- Be watchful of your gutters and drains; making sure that they are cleared
- Consider buying gas-powered sump pumps to help drain water
- Once a flood is over, take water damaged items away from your home
In addition, think about purchasing sandbags. Sandbags can be bought that are made of canvas and then store sand in them. Store them away and have them accessible to you in a short period of time. Some suggest painting the exterior of your home with veneer paints. This kind of paint may keep your floor and wallpaper safe from the ravages of water.
Keep in mind, too, that it is very important to insure all of your belongings and sign up for insurance you need. Valuable can be kept in a safe such as important documents, jewelry and other valuables. It is also very important to store business codes, files and contact numbers that are important to you in another and separate file. It is also most important to ensure that all of your electrical wiring be elevated so that water cannot touch any and all electrical components. Most importantly, keep a keen eye on the weather. Water damage can be prevented; it just takes time, effort and a plan.
If you have experienced flood damage in Garden Grove please call us at (714) 941-0199.